Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Procedures
LIM College is extremely dedicated to the safety, security and well-being of its students, faculty and staff members. The College has an extensive emergency preparedness and response program which includes having over 100 staff and faculty members trained and certified in First Aid and CPR. To further bolster the lifesaving capabilities of those certified in First Aid and CPR, LIM College has launched an initiative involving the purchase and installation of defibrillators (AEDs) throughout the College.
Although we hope to never have to use the AEDs, we understand the lifesaving benefits of these devices.
Operating an AED
- Assess the scene. The scene around the victim must be made safe prior to rendering any assistance.
- Confirm unresponsiveness.
- If possible, call or have someone call 911 and call the LIM College Emergency Line (212) 310-0660 or 711 from a LIM College phone.
- Locate and remove an AED from the cabinet.
- Pull the green handle or press the green ON/OFF button to turn on the device.
- Follow the AED’s verbal instructions.
- Remove the clear plastic lid covering the pads.
- Remove or cut away any clothing the victim is wearing.
- Pull the yellow tabs at the top of the pads to remove the film covers.
- Following the AED’s verbal instructions, place the first pad on the victim and press firmly.
- Peel and place the second pad on the victim, remembering to press firmly.
- Ensure that no one is touching the patient.
- When prompted by the AED, press the orange charge button.
- Continue to perform CPR as appropriate.
- Remain with the victim until first responders are on scene
Please go to the following website to review a video on the proper use of the Philips Heartstart AED. http://www.emergencyskills.com/heartstart/index.html.