LIM College 2017 Commencement Ceremony
May 25, 2017
From left: LIM College President Elizabeth S. Marcuse, Class of 2017 Valedictorian Morgan Cook, and Liz Rodbell, President of Hudson’s Bay and Lord & Taylor
LIM College held its 78th Commencement exercises on May 25 at Carnegie Hall. More than 500 graduates made up the Class of 2017, the largest in the College's history. This year's Commencement also included the first group of graduates from LIM’s online Master of Professional Studies (MPS) degree programs, as well as the first graduates of the MPS program in Global Fashion Supply Chain Management.
Liz Rodbell, President of Hudson’s Bay and Lord & Taylor gave the keynote address. She told the graduates, "…learning to evolve is the key to flourishing even in the most difficult of circumstances. So yes, there are times when your growth and evolution are going to be uncomfortable. It will rarely be in a straight line, and often, it’s not in the direction you expect. Growth is like that. It takes on a direction of its own. Learn to embrace it."
Ms. Rodbell also received an honorary Doctor of Commercial Science degree and was presented with LIM College's Distinguished Achievement Award.
In her remarks, President Marcuse said, "You’re entering a professional landscape where the unbelievably rapid pace of change, on a global scale, has left a lot of businesses with many more questions than answers. As new graduates, you’ll be the ones to drive our industry forward by jumping in and asking the questions that need to be asked. And by continuing to build on the knowledge and skills you developed at LIM, you’ll also be the ones who ultimately come up with the answers."
As part of an annual tradition, representatives from previous LIM College graduating classes marched in the Commencement procession and were seated on stage. The ceremony was also streamed live online and is available for viewing at: https://www.limcollege.edu/commencement
Awards and Honors
- Morgan Cook was the undergraduate Class of 2017 Valedictorian.
- The Maxwell F. Marcuse Award was presented to Lisa Rosenbaum ('78), Vice President of Merchandising for HSN. Named for LIM's founder, the award recognizes a graduate who has reached the pinnacle of success within the business of fashion.
- Kristi Sloe ('96), Vice President of Nail Innovation, Coty Worldwide and Vice President of Product Development for Sally Hansen was the Shining Star Alumni Award recipient.
- James Murray ('09), Owner and CEO of Supreme Public Relations received the Rising Star Alumni Award.
- Charles Goldfine, a professor in the Fashion Merchandising department, received the Award for Teaching Excellence.